So the last few weeks have been full of painting. The AIDS murals (there are actually 4 separate ones taking up the wall) are *almost* done. Aside from a few minor errors in my french I need to go back and correct, a tree I want to add, and some scrubbing of misplaced cement… I’m done!
So it would make sense to post lovely pictures here, but sadly I worked the entire day (literally) before I came into the capital and didn’t have time to charge my camera. I hope that I can get those pictures up pretty soon so you can see the whole thing! It’s not perfect but I’m really proud of it, and my villagers keep telling me that I’m good at drawing and should become a “mural painter”—apparently that’s a job? Most importantly though, the mural has given me a lot of opportunities to talk to people in my village about HIV and AIDS. I have had over 10 good conversations with groups of villagers about how not to get AIDS while I was painting… and we haven’t even done the sensibilisations yet!
In other village news,
I have become really good friends with my “rice lady” Alimata and her family; I eat at her house practically every day and they are offering my a small piece of land to farm this year. Mooré is still a struggle but we make do, and I am slowly picking up more words.
It is overwhelmingly hot and starting to rain from time to time. Both of which continue to make my life interesting. The other day I ran through what was quickly becoming mud to get back to my house just in time to pull everything inside and shut the shutters before the heavens opened up and it stormed all night. The next day I had to wear a headband to keep the sweat out of my eyes while I was painting. I try not to complain and my villagers tell me I'm adjusting to the heat better than last year, but it's still an adventure.
A few shout out to add:
A VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY to my sister KATE! I miss you and despite the sucky phone call, I was thinking about you all day! I love you!
Also, big thank you to EVERYONE who keeps sending me mail. I just got a bunch of letters and it made me SO incredibly happy! I can’t wait to write back to you all.
Finally, I want to say thank you to my Mom. There is no french card this year, but I still will be thinking about you on Sunday. Without you there would be no me. I love you and can never thank you enough for all you’ve done for me.
Until next time, JK
PS If you’re wondering about the title to this post, it’s an anagram my friend Doug came up with for my (full) name! (The other one was just KJ ;)