May 01, 2012

JK's Burkina Faso Health Packing List

JK's Packing List (Health Development, Burkina Faso)

This is what I brought with some current thoughts added.


CLOTHES
1 pair lightweight pants nice to have; don't advise the zip off kind though :)
1 pair cotton pants Don’t even remember these.
1 pair linen capris Had them already, still use them, dark colors are better
1 pair long shorts Definitely worth it for me, would bring 2, I wear them in my courtyard/house all the time
3 long skirts They are awesome, one jean and one from macabi with a PC discount (very worth it to me), one other skirt died in stage. Other women prefer more pants and fewer skirts, but I liked these. Very durable. I ended up getting more macabi skirts (with the discount of course) sent.
1 pair long leggings I would get ¾ length if I did it again, they still keep you warm in the cool seasons and are great for under skirts in the hot seasons
1 pair of lightweight pj pants Great but I wouldn’t bring more than one, you can get them made here
2 crew neck tees Died in stage. Cheap, Old Navy ones, not worth it.
2 light weight button up shirts Not worth it. They were OK for stage but I would just advise one more professional outfit
1 nicer tank Nice for going out
1 ribbed tank Should have brought a cuter one, this one died. Tanks in general can be nice sometimes.
1 ‘nice’ shirt Nice for Ouaga. Good thing to have.
2 t-shirts Worth it. Bring ones you like, but aren’t your favorites. I’d maybe bring 3 or 4, but I like t shirts and wear them all the time at site.
1 sweatshirt A good idea but maybe not necessary (you could buy one here when it gets cold)
2 pair regular socks If you ever want to wear shoes
2 pair extra lightweight toe socks Not really needed, I used them for running
2 underarmour tank tops Use these ALL the time
2 underarmor bike shorts Use these ALL the time (under skirts). Personal must have.
4 sports bras A LOT is a good number I think :)
3 regular bras Cannot get here new. Bring many durable ones.
21 pairs of underwear Worth it. Don’t really have similar kinds here.
1 pair of jeans Worth it to me. They feel like home. I would bring nicer ones that don’t have holes though if I did it again.
1 rain jacket Don’t use it, not necessary at all to me. Many people love theirs.
1 swimsuit A must
1 belt Really important when I lost/gained weight and wore pants
1 baseball cap Somewhat useful in stage, reminded me of home

SHOES
1 pair old nike running shoes Worth it to run in or play soccer in
1 pair teva sandals They’re close-toed. I almost never use them.
1 pair Reef flip-flops Used these til they died; should have brought 2. My advice is not to buy Chacos unless you know you love them.

BIKE STUFF
1 bike helmet (and receipt) Clearly.
1 bikers do rag (for under helmet) Not worth it.
1 bike seat Worth it to me. They’re ok here, but I love the one I brought.
3 locks and 1 chain The locks are nice to have, but you can buy all that here

FOOD
24 propel mix packets Nice to get through stage
1 garlic salt I’d have mailed it to myself if I did it again
1 cinnamon I’d have mailed it to myself if I did it again
4 cup o’soup packets I’d have mailed them to myself if I did it again
2 ranch packets Not worth it. Disappointing.
2 taco packets I’d have mailed them to myself if I did it again
1 packet chicken seasoning Not worth it.
2 bags of hard candy Nice to get through stage, but I’d have mailed them to myself if I did it again
24 golean crunch bars Nice to get through stage. The food can be hard to get used to.
1 cheese in a packet I’d have mailed it to myself if I did it again
3 waterbottles (2 nalgene and a camelback) Nalgene worth it. Camel back had straw thing that loved mold too much. DON’T bring a waterbottle with a straw.
1 small keychain knife Amazing for all mangos. I suggest a good pocket knife.
1 small, cooking knife Only worth it if you bring a really good one. I didn’t.
1 small non-stick pan and spatula Pan was worth it for me. They have them here though they’re expensive and not quite as good.
1 silverware multitool So not even useful.

STUFF
1 pair good scissors Can get them here. They’re handy, though I wouldn’t bring them again.
10 good pens Worth it a million times for me. I love pens and write a lot.
5 black sharpies So-so. Maybe one.
1 small solar calculator Too cheap and broke. Great idea though.
1 sm. box stationary Would have brought more. I like to send letters.
1 roll US stamps You can definately send things home with other volunteers to mail in the US, but I’ve never used these
3 journals
A good idea for me.
1 mini notebook Didn’t need it
2 small photo albums (1 public, one private) Once I got a computer, one just to share a few pictures with friends would’ve been fine.
4 books (Farenheight 451, Blue Like Jazz, poetry workshop book, my Bible) There are plenty of books here, but I like books so I’m glad I brought a couple.
French/English Dictionary Died here. Get one free in stage. Not worth it unless you really feel like you need your specific one.
1 roll duct tape SO worth it.
2 boxes ziplocks Maybe a little overkill (there were a ton), but very handy
1 eyeglasses repair kit Can get it from PCMOs here
1 travel sewing kit Not worth it, I just take it to a tailor
1 thermometer Broke, but it wouldda been cool
1 map of the world SO awesome to have and show
1 money belt Gave it to my best friend in village and she uses it every day
1 passport holder Use it occasionally
2 passport sized photos Can get extra photos for travel at the beaureau
1 debit/credit card Handy in an emergency
1 driver’s license used for Airport ID, safe @ the bureau
$150 cash (50 just for bags + cab etc on the way) 100 bucks is good, some gets reimbursed and the rest waits for my COS @ the beaureau. Worth it to me.
1 binder with clear pages Handy for stage and later for important papers. But keep in mind, paper is a different size here. If I were to do it again, I might bring an accordion file.
Several safety pins Not needed
1 bungee cord Broke, can get the equivalent here

GIFTS
3 USA hankerchiefs Made OK gifts
1 set earrings Made a good gift
2 sticker sets Don’t advise it, they didn’t understand them
2 boxes of crayons Best with coloring books
1 small teddy bear J


SLEEP
1 coolmax sleeping bag liner Use it when I sleep outside. I like it.
1 travel pillow Sleep on it every night. Not necessary, but I’m really glad I brought it
1 thermarest (with holder and patching kit) Useful when I sleep outside. Used a couple times during stage. Patching kits can be bought here that do the same thing.
1 hennesy hammock (and tarp) Already had it, so I use it instead of a bug hut. I love it, but lack of good trees can be a problem. I would definitely say, as would any other volunteer, get a bug hut 2.

EXTRAS
1 deck uno So worth it. Great game that goes across language barriers.
1 sm. box chalk They have it here. Not worth it.
1 large bouncy ball Awesome to play catch with kids with.
1 free frisbee Not worth it.
1 deck cards Have them here, nice though to have
1 knee brace Don’t play soccer enough to need it

ELECTRONICS
1 cheap watch with alarm that goes off whenever it wants Not worth it
1 ipod Bring it if you have it. Maybe even go get one if you don’t. Definitely worth it.
2 headphones (1 big, 1 small) Small ones work best, a must have, get comfortable ones
2 ipod cases (1 for running, 1 that you could drive a car over) Running case works fine, never used the Pelican one
1 small travel speakers for ipod Mine werent good enough. Good ones are so nice to have.
1 USB key (and case) Bring it no matter what.
1 portable hard drive and case Mine is 1 TB. Worth it. Very worth it.
1 solar charger, battery, and tips Mine is the Voltaic. I love it. I got the smaller one that charges anything with a USB, but am now jealous they have a laptop charger. Worth it a million times over and maybe the best thing I bought for coming here. Better than a Solio.
1 camera Yes. Had it before I left; love it. I think small is good, but you’ll want quality if you can afford it.
1 camera case Important.
2 camera cards Really only need one bigger one.
2 camera batteries Nice to have! (Incidentally, chargeable on the solar charger through my camera’s USB)
1 headlamp and case I SO need this! ALL the time!
1 small flashlight and case Very nice. Flashlights here suck. (Case optional, mine came with)
1 portable alarm clock Died. Cell phones do the same things.
AA/AAA batteries Great. You go through a ton. I would look into rechargables though.

TOILETRIES ETC.
2 pairs of glasses and cases Yeah. I don’t advise tinted lenses.
1 glasses cleaning cloth Needed if you need glasses. It’s hella dusty. Maybe some cleaning wipes too. (Blessings on whoever sent me those.)
2 pair emergency contacts Should have brought at least a couple months to wear from time to time, despite what PC says. I miss them.
3 bandannas I liked them in stage. Not really needed.
3 headbands 1 would’ve been OK
3 pairs of post earrings Should have brought pretty ones too
2 necklaces Nice to have
1 mascara/ coverup/ lip gloss Bring some make up even if you don’t wear it often in the US. Worth it.
2 facewash I should have brought more as back up. They don’t sell it really.
4 deoderants Do NOT truly exist here. SO worth it to me!
1 razor and 30 extra blades OK so razors exist here, but I prefer mine and I’m glad I brought all the replacement blades. I bought in bulk. Worth it to me.
1 travel size shampoo Used it in stage
1 2 in 1 shampoo/conditioner Used it in stage
1 pack lava soap Not worth it. Maybe in a package
1 soap holder Not worth it
1 pumice stone Not worth it to me. Some people swear by them though
1 sunscreen It’s here for free with PCMOs. If you’re very pale, maybe enough for a week.
1 bug spray Can get it here free with PCMOs. Still glad I brought it.
1 aloe vera Nice to have.
1 small lotion Bath and Body is nice to have. Reminded me of home.
2 good tweezers Exist here, but very worth it to me.
1 floss Can get it here free with PCMOs, used it in stage.
2 toothbrushes Nice to have. Used in stage and a bit after.
2 toothpaste Nice to have. Used in stage and a bit after.
30 days of vitamins Mom asked me to bring them. Can get from PCMOs free.
1 bottle extra strength tylenol Small bottle for stage OK, but not needed. Can get the equivalent from PCMOs free.
1 bottle pepto bismol tablets Small bottle for stage OK, but not needed. Can get the equivalent from PCMOs free.
1 pack disposable wipes So freakin handy for wiping off face dirt or as emergency TP
1 comb Yes.
1 brush Still have it. Bring a good one.
Several hair ties Bring them! Not widely available but exist here.
Several clippies Not really used.
1 diva cup. reusable pads, wash and carrying case Up to you. Decent tampons are free through PCMOs.
2 lip balm Nice to have in stage. Free through PCMOs.
1 large micro towel Stolen. Until then, very very worth it!

BAGS
1 regular backpack Bring one that fits like a glove. Wear mine almost every day.
1 hiking backpack I hardly ever bring this to Ouaga, but if you have a nice one you will sometimes
1 small bag It’s great to fold up and use for shopping


ADDITIONS I WISH I’D BROUGHT
Anything Mentioned Above
Can opener Available, but just bring a good one with you
My pillow and a sheet from my own bed Silly maybe, but I miss them
Laptop I was sure I wouldn’t want one; I was wrong. Personally, I think small is good.
Send myself posters in a poster tube (cost, about 10 bucks) for decorating my house
Shortwave Radio I borrowed a friend’s. I listen to it almost every day.
Battery-operated or solar fan At least I think I would have wanted to bring one. Redefines hot.
Power adapter You can get them here, but coming with this would have been helpful
College lined notebooks I miss them. I could have used them a lot in stage and before I got a computer. Writers are picky about paper and pens :)
A copy of all passwords They were all saved on my old computer. Most of them were a pain in the ass to change after I’d forgotten them.
Bank, PIN, tax numbers Bring any and all important info you can think of, then keep it in a very safe place You might forget after a year or so, even if you think you never could.