September 13, 2011

In other news

In other news...

I miss my sister. She was actually not that bad to have around J I’m sorry America sucks sometimes. Come back to visit me!

Kate and me in village



(By the way my sister has a blog of her own: http://krumikate-adventure.blogspot.com where she writes much more often and more interesting things than me. If you’re real nice and tell her how you know me, so she knows you’re not just some creeper, she might let you read it.)

I am actually busy with work at site right now, so that’s a happy change of events. Though it’s not what I want to be doing (sensibilisations are essentially lecturing people), it’s at least something. Did a very entertaining one on condoms last week (all the women giggled when I blew it up into a balloon) and a rather boring (but necessary) one on child nutrition. Most exciting is the one I did one in a small village 3k away from mine because the women were knowledgeable, and attentive, and generally very Tantie-ish. ( “tahn-tee”: a big ol Burkinabe woman—or just one with a big heart—who mamma’s you, also means “Auntie” and can respectfully refer to any woman you don’t know.) I'll be going back soon.

 I’m still working on: a men’s sensibilisation and getting men to volunteer to help me “teach” it, setting up a health class at the school this year and getting a women’s group together by the end of next month or so. At the end of a year (a month from now) I thought I’d be a lot farther along, but I’m learning that accomplishing things,  feeling like I’ve “made a difference," may be my own idea of what I am supposed to do here.

The cute one is David, my "husband" who is 9 months old

I miss you all, like always. Can you believe it’s been 11 months? If you haven’t gotten a letter back from me after you sent me anything in the mail it’s because I lost (most likely threw away—sorry!) your address. Please email it to me! Thanks to everyone who’s kept up despite my sucky communication. Also emails should be a bit better responded to (though not necessarily quickly) now that I can save them to my computer to write back.

A special shout out to my Baba (that’s Moore for you, Dad,) who puts up with me doing stupid things and not being able to say I love you on the occasion of your being old(er). I miss you most. Happy very belated birthday.