So here’s what happened:
- Spent almost all my money on vacation (and got quite a bit of it stolen as well)
- Got back to village, lived on the equivalent of 15 dollars for 2 weeks and waited to get paid
- Called PC to make sure I’d be able to get money (without checks) in the big village north of me… they said sure thing
- Knocked my phone into a bucket of water and, of course, had no money to fix it or get a new one
- Went to the big village north of me to get money after the beginning of the month. After half an hour walk to the post, 3 hours sitting and trying not to get frustrated, and lots of paperwork, I was told it would take 3 more days. (And I couldn’t call PC to help figure things out, because I didn’t have a phone.) Walked half an hour back to the bus.
- Missed calling my Dad for his birthday L
- Borrowed money from another volunteer to pay my electricity bill and a trip back to the big village in 3 days to get my money
- Went back in 3 days: still no money… still no phone
- Borrowed a volunteer’s phone to call my mom to tell her I was alive
- Tried to go to Ouaga the next day was too late to catch the bus company that was close enough to walk to get money (no extra money for a taxi at this point), decided I’d go the next day rather than walk 10 miles
- Got up early, packed, and the waited at the bus stop. The right bus came, but it stopped too far away. I ran after it yelling at them that I was coming. The guy looked at me and shut the door. (Very angry things I think about that man).
- Cried because at this point I was really stressed. My villagers freaked out I was crying and hitched a ride for me (don’t worry, mom, hitching rides is safe and common here)—which ended up saving me the bus money (which comes in handy later...)
- Got to the post (ie bank) and… the computers are down. We can’t get you any money, they tell me, let alone checks. Seriously?! Yes… seriously.
- Used the money from the bus I didn’t take to get a taxi most of the way (and then walked the rest of the way) to the Peace Corps office. Talked to 3 different people and they called the bank to get everything straight.
- Went back to the bank after kunch (lunch is from noon to 3 pm) and ended up having to borrow another volunteer’s phone to call PC again for a number I didn’t have that they needed.
- Finally got my checks and about 15 minutes later, my money! Never been so happy to have money in my LIFE!
I have been astounded these past couple weeks at people’s kindness, despite the stress of worrying about every CFA. It gave me new faith in people here.
(And no, grandma, this is not to say that I need money, just that I was stupid and then got screwed. I do have money, I just couldn’t get to it.)
The things that I get myself into, I tell you.