These last few weeks have been full of explaining over and over
again why I can’t stay in my village. People are sweet and have been insisting I
stay at least one more year. They like me, they say. They finally know me. I
finally know Moore. Why do I have to go? Stay! Stay! Stay! Stay! they say.
I thought you all might enjoy the reasons my villagers would
accept as “good enough” for me to leave them and their usual responses. So here
are my direct translations (from Moore, least to most convincing) of the
reasons I gave for leaving:
1) My work is finished. Our work is only two years here. You
know Mariam, the first foreigner? She only stayed two years, too. When I came
they told me, you can come, but you can only stay two years. (Response: oh.)
2) I have to go find a job. I can get a good job in America to
make money. (Response: And then you can come back here and share! May God give
you lots and lots of money!)
3) I will look for a husband.
(Automatic responses: We have men
here!; You can marry our husband!; Here is my brother. He says you’re pretty.
Stay now.)
All of the men here want lots of women! For my people it is one
man and only one woman. If you can find a man who only wants one wife truest
true-- he can't change his mind like, sure I want one wife, but two years later
he sees another woman he wants-- and he speaks english, you tell me and we'll
chat.
(New response: May God give you a nice/helpful husband!; We will come to
your wedding.; Bring your children to see us!)
4) My grandparent, my mother's mother, wants to see me. She said
two years is long enough and I should come home now. I also want to see my
family and the people in my father's village.
(Response: Your mothers mother is
lasting!? Oh, yes, you must go see her. But then come back. She could come live
here with you?)
No, she can’t come here.
(Oh. Well, it is good [for you] to go see her. Greet
her for us.)
(Response 2: May God bless your parents for giving birth to you. Are the old man and woman well? Good. We are glad they came to see us all the way here. Tell them thank you for sending you. )
Hopefully that translated OK and made you smile a bit. I know it does me. I love these people!