Today was an incredible reminder of how undeniably blessed I am. In fact, I've found that I can't think too much about all of my blessings because I feel so undeserving it gets overwhelming. But it's not because I am comparing myself with those around me-- Dear God, thank you that I have food to eat tomorrow-- or making a list of things I like at all.
It's because I know you.
Well, mostly. For the thirteen Russians who have somehow stumbled across this blog, I have to make an exception. But for the rest of you, who do know me personally-- whether I met you for a great day or you have spent my whole life looking out for me-- you made, and continue to make, a difference in my life. And, cliche as it sounds, if you really think about it: it's the truth. Our lives are meant to interact with other people's and that is what makes them so complex. And so beautiful.
Originally I was going to post about my day and the turkey, but my heart is fuller than my stomach tonight. I decided instead to thank God for those people who have been a part of my life and to share part of that list with you all.
I am thankful for my family: who are my foundation and who choose to love me no matter what. My parents: who taught me everything I know (even if it's not all they do); my brother: who I love more than he knows; my sister: who I still want to grow-up to be someday; and my grandma st.john: whose life is full of inspiration. I am thankful for all of my friends near and far, young and old, (you know who you are): whose smiles, hugs, tears, and words make up my story; without you I would simply cease to be able. I am thankful for my peace corps people (stage october especially): who are the only ones who will ever really get it. I am thankful for my adopted Faso family members: who keep on teaching me day by day. I am also thankful for my many mentors present and past: teachers, professors, camp councilors,coaches, and those people who just let me be in their world for a while-- many of whom may think they fall in this category, but have little idea how big of an impact they really made-- whose wisdom continually leads me to my self; without you I wouldn't have made it this far. I am thankful for my church family who continues to talk to God about me and give me love. And maybe most on my mind this thanksgiving, I am thankful for those of you I met for a season or a day, and may never see again, who nevertheless made a dent that stays.
There are too many names I've forgotten in my 24 years, too many good things done that will never be acknowledged, too much love, really, for one person.
No matter what, it really is a wonderful life.
Happy Thanksgiving.