January 17, 2011

Where there is no cheese

Oh, well, hello there world! Its been a while!

I am currently celebrating my one month anniversary in my village. And let me tell you, there is just no way to sum it up. Its like trying to explain any absolutely different life experience. I can use words like:difficult and frustrating and exillerating and life affirming and exhausting and theres somethingaboutit that just gets in your blood and you love it... but none of that really captures it.
New friends


Its an unimaginable poverty and a beautiful spirit. Its a marche town still divided by ethnicity with a history of whores ad thieves. Its modernism in a world of farmers. Its struggle and dancing and life.
Therere nice people and mean people. Good days and bad.

I am experiencing the post-college life-- renting a house ( and trying to figure out how to "decorate" my 2 rooms and weed my courtyard), learning to cook for my self (did I mention theres no cheese here? Somehow they never mentioned that in the application process or interviews...), and going to "work" every day.
I just happen to be doing it here. In other languages. In a whole new culture.
I miss you all and will try to write more soon.

All my love.

PS Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

PPS address is the same just PCV insteqd of PCT!

My Latrine (TINY little hole)



What I do with my trash (burn it)

How I get water and keep my yard swept