November 27, 2010

Welcome to Village!

I ate thanksgiving dinner on a frisbee. Seriously. It was awesome.


Thanksgiving here means food food and more food of the Americanish type for PCTs (Peace Corps Trainees)-- the people who work our stage (Burkinabe langague trainers and such) sometimes call it the fete american -- roughly translated as american party day. All of the stagieres got together for a giant potluck of sorts and then slept over at our training center, and it was a great time to celebrate both food and where we come from.

Scott gets his turkey on
 For those of you who know me well it will come no surprise that I am not the greatest at cooking here. There are open flames and sharp knives and all in all its best if I just help by stirring or something... I DID however manage to make mashed potatoes of a sort (real potatoes arent in season so we used potats) with a gint mortor and pestal with my friend Cindy for the Thanksgiving party. They were really good if I do say so myself.
 Oh, and on the 15th our stage found out where we will be living and working for the next 2 years! I will be in a village of just under 3000 just to the north of the capital Ouagadougou. I am replacing a volunteer who has worked there for the last two years and is transferring out to a third year in Botswanna. She said that the village is excited I'm coming... which makes me even more excited to get there!

P.S. In case youre wondering, frisbees make great plates.

Finding my place on the map