September 30, 2010

Wãn wãn toto?

   Most days I can't help thinking about how much I love that this is my life; I’m actually going to Burkina Faso! I’m all: I can’t wait to go to live in Africa and work with the Peace Corps and not have electricity or running water! Let's go already! Those days rock.
   But there are also days where I get so stressed and overwhelmed that I suddenly understand why people think you have to be crazy to do this. On those days I’m all: “BUT WHAT KIND OF BRAS DO I BRING?” at my mom in the middle of the grocery store.   
 My sister, wise woman of travel that she is, assures me that no matter what I do or how much I stress about packing (or language or anything else), nothing will work out perfectly. She says that I will waste valuable packing space on things I’ll never ever use and end up wishing I’d packed things I’ve never even thought about.

  I hate it when she makes since like that.
...
  
For those of you wondering, “Wãn wãn toto” is Mòoré for “How”. Mòoré (“More-ay”) is the language of the Mossi, and it is spoken by over 5 million people in Burkina Faso. So far, this is the only word in Mòoré I can consistently remember.