September 09, 2010

The one where I freak out and start a blog

   So hello. And welcome to my blog.
I don't really know where to start. Beginnings are always awkward and I've never done this whole blog thing before, but I suppose I have to start somewhere--so here's where I'm at right now.
   I leave in just over a month to start this ridiculously awesome thing called my life in Burkina Faso. I'm excited, nervous and overwhelmed, but most of all at this point, I am ready to have the packing over with. Ever try to fit your life for two years into two bags? Me either. I don't suggest it for the faint of heart.
   Other than figuring that out, I am trying to be a studious French studier. My placement officer emphasized  that since I suck at French I should really, really study some more before I go. (OK, so he didn't put it exactly like that, but trust me, that's what he said.) Burkina Faso is a francophone country, which means that the official language is French, though I'll have to learn at least one other local language, too. So for now I'm using Rosetta Stone and trying to repeat stupid things like days of the week and numbers through 100 to myself, but having no one around to correct me in my conversational French is making me nervous that my grammar is all mixed up. At this point, I feel like I'm going to forget everything and when I get to training I'll be placed in the "this person doesn't know any French how did they get here?!" group. Thus, the studying continues. 
   Also, I'm trying to get in some last visits to family and friends. I realize that as excited as I am about starting my life in Burkina, it's going to be difficult to be away from the people I love for so long. I realize that I'll be missing weddings, and birthdays, and graduations, and Christmases with many of you. And I realize that my choice affects more than just me. Please know that I wouldn't be leaving for so long if I didn't believe in what I was doing whole heartedly. I can't not go. Along with that, a huge shout out to those of you who have been supportive for the last year or so of my application process-- especially my folks, without whom I never ever would have gotten this far. All that being said, if you're around my alma matter for Homecoming be sure to drop by the going away party downtown. It'll be epic.


   Well, I'm off to go pack some more French. Or something like that. Until next time, JK